- This event has passed.
Intermediate Power BI, Data Modeling and DAX | Virtual 2 Day
June 9, 2021 @ 8:30 am – June 10, 2021 @ 4:00 pm MST
Level up from a beginner to a power user with our instructor-led Power BI Intermediate training course.
About this Event
Take your Power BI skills to the next level! This online, instructor-led Power BI course is perfect for those who have been using the tool for 3-6 months. In this course, we will expand upon basic Power BI concepts such as transforming and cleansing data using Power Query Editor, writing basic DAX expressions and publishing dashboard visualizations to end-users.
We will guide you through:
- Learning and discussing the basics of Dimensional Modelling and its importance to Power BI
- Designing several Dimensional Models and populate them from some of the most common sources
- Elevating your Power Query skills by going beyond simple use cases
- Moving beyond DAX Fundamentals and learning how to enhance your data model using expressions from more complex DAX techniques.
This course is for Business Analysts, IT Users, and others that are interested in learning how to elevate their data analytics techniques using Power BI. We will teach you how to develop efficient data analytics and further utilize visualizations in your organization.
About the Instructors
Chris Sorensen CPA, CGA, is the Founder and President of Iteration Insights, a tech-enabled data analytics solutions provider based in Calgary, Alberta.
He is a Microsoft Certified Data Analyst Associate and Microsoft Certified Trainer with a combined 20+ years of industry and teaching experience.
Chris provides our partners with the data-driven solutions they seek and has proven capabilities to train and empower their people in analytics. In his career, he has lead numerous Analytics projects in more than 15 industries across small to enterprise-sized organizations.
As an instructor of the Business Intelligence program at SAIT, he plays a significant role in shaping new talent in Calgary’s emerging tech sector. Following his lifelong learning approach, Chris also coordinates both Power Platform and Azure Analytics User Groups, providing a space dedicated to knowledge-sharing and growing Alberta’s tech community. His favourite hashtag is #neverstoplearning.
Jarid McKenzie, BSc. In Mathematics and Statistics and certified in Business Intelligence by the University of Calgary, is co-owner and Lead Analytics Architect for Iteration Insights.
Jarid has 8 years of experience working in the digital space, including teaching data analytics at the University of Calgary and SAIT. Currently, he is on the advisory board for the Business Intelligence Program at SAIT and is a mentor to many graduates from the course.
As a community leader for the Power Platform and Azure Analytics User Groups in Calgary, Jarid loves to share his knowledge with the community speaking at major data analytics events, such as the Power Platform World Tour held in Calgary last year.
- $675/Attendee + GST and Eventbrite Fees
- Groups of 2 or more receive a discount of 10% of the currently available ticket price. Please contact for discount code.
Job Grant Eligibility
Combine this course with our Introduction to Power BI and DAX course and qualify for job grants. Your employer must apply for the job grant before purchasing the course. Visit the links below for more details on how to apply.
Data Modelling for Power BI
- What is Dimensional Modelling, and why do we need it?
- Dimensional Modelling Basics
- Managing the Power BI data model
Power Query for Power BI
- Power Query review
- How to use Power Query in more sophisticated ways
- Dive into M
- Populate your dimensional models using Power Query
- Error Handling in Power BI
- Date tables and the importance of managing your own
- Filter context walk-through
- Filter arguments
- Deeper dive into Time Intelligence Functions
- Fiscal period offsets
- Currency conversions
- More complex hierarchies – Parent-Child hierarchies
- Dealing with multiple relationships
- Understanding many-to-many relationships
Power BI, Power Query, Data Modelling, Data Visualizations, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver
Filming and Photography may take place; please read our Notice for Filming and Photography for further information.